Thursday, March 31, 2011

TeDtAlK#2- Sarah Kay: If I should have a daughter ...

If I should have a daughter- Sarah Kay http://www.ted.com/talks/sarah_kay_if_i_should_have_a_daughter.html
About this talk: In this talk, Sarah told us how she went from being a frightened teenager speaking in New York's Bowery Poetry Club to a teacher that teaches children to connect with each other using self expression through the project that she created called Project V.O.I.C.E. About the Sarah: - a spoken word poet and a published author - began to perfoem her poetry when she was only 14. - performed both across the country and internationally in the Czech Republic, the United Kingdom, India, and South Africa. - youngest poet competing at National Poetry Slam in Texas. - founded project V.O.I.C.E. in 2004 and has since taught Spoken Word Poetry in classrooms and workshops all over the world. About the presentation: When I first took a glance at the topic, I thought this talk is going to be about why we should have daughters instead of sons. Because I want to have six children in the future, I wanted to see what's her say on this topic. I was really excited and I clicked in without hesitation. However, I was totally wrong. This talk was not about what I thought it was going to be about. It turned out that "If I should have a daughter" is just a beginning sentence for a poem she wrote. I listened to the poem and It amazed me. It reminded me of the writing majors in our school. I admire people who can write poetries, because I can't. I wouldn't even try to start one because I know that it's too hard for me. Just when I was thinking of that, Sarah pointed out the 3 steps of her Spoken Poetry Journey. The First step was when she said I can. I can do this. Step two was when she mentioned I will. I will continue and I won't stop. Step three was to notice that she didn't have to write indignant poems if that's not what she is. Through Sarah's teaching, she learned that sometimes she has to trick students into writing poems. So she came up with lists. She started with telling everyone to wirte "10 things I know to be true." From those things, pick the most compelling one and dig into that. This is how she taught her students to start a poem. Lastly, she ended the presentation with an astonishing piece called "Hiroshima." One idea or image that I will take away: The three steps. I think these are the general steps to reach our goal. First is to tell your self that you are capable of doing that, to tell yourself that it is not impossible. For example, I can do poetries. Second is to tell yourself that you will. If this is what you love, what you enjoy doing, you will do it as long as you believe in it. Finally, the third step is to show your own personality, your character through the things that your doing. Don't do things that everyone else is doing. Be youself. One single word that best describes this talk: Breathtaking

No comments:

Post a Comment